This pic is from before New Year's but I love it and had to post it anyway!
Stephen had his 2 month check up yesterday and, besides still being colicky, is doing quite well. Some things that came up...
1.) He is now 13 lbs 8 oz and 22.25" long. That puts him in the 90th percentile for weight and means that he's half a pound from doubling his 25th percentile birth weight (I think it was 25th...). Doctor was needless to say impressed with his gain. He was also a little surprised that Stephen is still only sleeping for 2-3 hours at a stretch at night. That's my hungry little boy!!
2.) Stephen did very well getting his shots. When the nurse told us that he might be fussy afterwards, we almost chuckled. As the parent of a colicky baby, I can tell you that while his cries were different than usual, it is a HUGE relief to know WHY your baby is fussy. So, for me, it was actually an easier evening even though he was obviously hurting. We had kind of assumed that he wouldn't sleep well but as usual, he delighted in proving us wrong. Put him down around 9 PM and was shocked to look at the clock when he woke up hungry at 3 AM. Yes boys and girls, that's 6 hours! Abe got up at one point in that stretch to take the dogs out and Stephen was awake but just quietly hanging out in his crib. So even though he didn't sleep for 6 hours, I certainly did!
3.) My 2 month old son is teething. He's been drooling a lot and sure enough the 2 spots have shown up on his lower gums. I'm predicting a post in the near future about him biting me while nursing.
I am back to work on Friday for a teacher workday and Abe will be staying home with Stephen to hopefully get an idea of how much milk he'll need each day. Or, worst case scenario, to bring him to school to feed if he refuses the bottle again. Second semester starts Monday and Stephen will start daycare. I really am going to miss him and wish there was a way I could be a stay home mom. But it's just not feasible so I'm trying to focus on how lucky we are that we will have the summertime together. The odd thing about him starting daycare is that his colicky nature has me more worried than anything. We have a great childcare provider who I know will take good care of him. But my uber-accomodating, don't-want-to-burden-anyone-else nature has me feeling guilty that she'll be dealing with my grumpy, crying, needs-to-be-held angel. I really don't mean to be a martyr but I just feel like that responsibility is mine & Abe's. Sigh. I need to get over myself and rediscover my bitchy "my needs are more important" gene. Even though we're talking about Stephen's needs instead of mine, it's really the same problem with me not wanting to inconvenience anyone (and always feeling like I am). I know I have it somewhere ---- I used to use it all the time. When did I lose it??? Regardless, send us some prayers and good thoughts that we both make a smooth transition to me working.
Love to all!!

No comments:
Post a Comment