Friday, January 23, 2009

A new way of life


I had a feeling that returning to work would mean more time between blog updates and I was right! But we've survived the transition and are looking forward to a weekend together. Stephen has done great at daycare, getting on a pretty regular napping and eating schedule and spending his waking time staring fascinated at the other kids there. He typically cluster feeds in the evenings when we get home but that comes as no surprise here. I'm just so happy that my fears of walking in to him screaming every day were unfounded. I knew he was well cared for but still...... We also had our first medical issue with Stephen this week although its so minor that it barely registers as an issue. I picked him up Wednesday feeling fine but with his left eye emitting this lovely, goopy, yellowish drainage and after some research in the Dr Sears book, we guessed it was a blocked tear duct. 24 hours, some tear duct massages, and a few drops of breastmilk later, it seems to be back to normal. But since Abe is sick, we're keeping an eye on the boy and hoping it wasn't a sign of anything else.


As for me returning to work, it was (as predicted) much harder for me than for Stephen. I was feeling a bit burnt out before and with the pressure of SOL pass rates, the typical BS of every school admin, scheduling, etc, and now wishing I was with Stephen, I find myself questioning if I'm in the right career. Staying home is not an option but I'm not sure I'm up for countless more years of feeling like I'm performing on stage and trying to get teenagers to jump through hoops every day. I could go on and on about the pros and cons but in essence I have a lot of thinking to do. Until then, I've found that I work much more efficiently at grading, planning, and setting up labs so I can scoot out the door with an empty briefcase at 330 to go get my boy. He's one heck of a motivator. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm glad that your little boy had a great week!

I felt the same way about teaching before I quit--I was very burned out and wondered if I could do it any more. (All that after only 6 years!) Strangely enough I've been missing it lately. Maybe it's like the pain of childbirth--you forget after awhile. :)